May 6, 2010

Lime-Scented Mango-Strawberry Salad


I love fruit. I mix strawberries with my Greek yogurt in the mornings. I add frozen bananas to my delicious Green Monsters. I snack on clementines like it's my job. By the way, how cool would it be if I got paid to eat food? I'd be one happy career lady, that's for sure. I.must.figure.out.a.plan.

Anyway, I always love a cold, refreshing fruit salad. I think fruit salads can really balance out a menu. I asked around on some online message boards for a fruit salad recipe - I REALLY didn't want one with whipped cream (don't get me wrong, I do love that stuff!). Someone suggested this recipe, and I'm so glad they did. It tastes like summer!

Source: All You - Lime-Scented Mango-Strawberry Salad

Ingredients:
3/4  cup  sugar
2  teaspoons  grated lime zest
1/4  cup  fresh lime juice
3  cups  trimmed, sliced strawberries (about 2 lb.)
3  cups  peeled, diced mangoes (2 to 3 large mangoes) - I used frozen, diced mangoes

Directions:
Combine sugar and 1/3 cup water in a small saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until sugar has dissolved, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool. Stir in lime zest and juice; let cool to room temperature.

Mix strawberries with mangoes in a large bowl. Add syrup and gently stir until well mixed. Refrigerate at least 30 minutes or until ready to serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment