May 5, 2010

Blackberry Jam Cake



We all know I love me some sweets/desserts. Seriously, I've never been known turn away a sugary treat. This has potential to be a problem, but for now I'm embracing my high metabolism and desire for exercise and saying yes to decadent food! Hello, casual indulgence! It's all about balance, people. Anyway, enough of my ranting....

With that being said, this delightful cake shouldn't make you feel guilty...at all. The recipe comes from my beloved Cooking Light cookbook (from my fabulous sister & brother-in-law!). I actually made this back in the fall to take to a friend's house - they were in charge of the meal, I was in charge of dessert. I mean, people just know me all too well! Because I absolutely enjoyed this (as well as my husband), I decided to make this for Easter. I knew I had to have dessert, but I wanted something light and refreshing. With jam instead of frosting, this is definitely a unique twist on regular cake. Enjoy!

Source: Cooking Light - Blackberry Jam Cake

Ingredients:
1  tablespoon  all-purpose flour
1  cup  granulated sugar
1/2  cup  butter, softened
1  tablespoon  vanilla extract
3  large eggs
2 1/4  cups  all-purpose flour
2 1/2  teaspoons  baking powder
1/2  teaspoon  salt
1/2  teaspoon  ground cinnamon
1/8  teaspoon  ground nutmeg
1 1/4  cups  fat-free milk
1  cup  seedless blackberry jam, divided
1  tablespoon  powdered sugar - I omitted this




Directions: 
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Coat bottoms of 2 (9-inch) round cake pans with cooking spray (do not coat sides of pans); line bottoms with wax paper. Coat wax paper with cooking spray; dust with 1 tablespoon flour.

Place granulated sugar, butter, and vanilla in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until well blended (about 5 minutes). Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Lightly spoon 2 1/4 cups flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine 2 1/4 cups flour and next 4 ingredients (2 1/4 cups flour through nutmeg), stirring well with a whisk. Add flour mixture and milk alternately to sugar mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture.
Pour batter into prepared pans; sharply tap pans once on counter to remove air bubbles. Bake at 350° for 25 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 minutes on a wire rack; remove from pans. Cool completely on wire rack.

Place jam in a small bowl, and stir with a whisk until smooth. Place 1 cake layer on a plate; spread with 1/2 cup jam. Top with other cake layer; spread remaining jam over top of cake. Sprinkle with powdered sugar - if desired.

1 comment:

  1. This looks absolutely delish and I am so excited to try it. Especially since it uses jam instead of frosting!!

    ReplyDelete