April 23, 2010

Food Obsession: Almond Butter

I started following multiple health blogs a few months ago: Carrots 'N' Cake, Kath Eats Real Food, Oh She Glows, Healthy Tipping Point & Iowa Girl Eats...just to name a few! :)

Through these blogs, I have become exposed to many creative and healthy food ideas and exercise regimens. Although many of these bloggers do enjoy good old peanut butter, I've realized that many enjoying branching out and trying different nut butters. They inspired me to get out of my comfort zone. Comfort zone = peanut butter. Now I like peanut butter - the natural stuff that requires you to stir it every time you open the jar. It just tastes real. But then I got to thinking...I really like almonds. I would rather eat a handful of almonds than a handful of peanuts. Hmm. I was on a quest to find almond butter!

Luckily I shop at Trader Joe's (hello cheap and healthy food!), so finding almond butter (crunchy!) was not a problem, and it was relatively inexpensive. I'm going to be completely honest with you - I just dunked a spoon right into the jar for my first try. I FELL. IN. LOVE. INSTANTLY. Almond butter is a great source of protein, calcium, fiber, magnesium, folic acid, potassium, and vitamin E. It is rich in monounsaturated fats making it a heart-healthy choice (source). 

Here are some ways to enjoy almond butter:
  • Right out of the jar with a spoon :)
  • On top of a banana
  • Use as a dip for apples
  • On multigrain toast or bagels
  • In Green Monsters
  • Topping on oatmeal - so good!
Seriously, your options are endless. I have a good feeling that I'll be trying to make almond butter cookies in the VERY near future! Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment