January 10, 2010

Butternut Squash Casserole



I use the word "casserole" lightly - I don't think this is necessarily a casserole, but it's the best way to describe it! My husband and I always have a vegetable side dish with every meal - this has forced me to become creative. I found some great butternut squash at our local Trader Joe's (pre-cut) - and wanted to spice it up a bit. After searching around online, I found a few recipes that looked yummy....so I combined them all. This is super easy, so enjoy!

Ingredients:
1 lb. butternut squash (peeled and cubed)
1/2 cup white onion, finely chopped
1/2 teaspoon salt (I used Hawaiian Red Sea Salt)
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 tablespoon butter, melted
1 egg
1/3 cup milk
1/2 cup shredded cheese (I used an Italian 4-cheese blend)

Directions:
Set oven to 425. Mix together squash, onion, salt, pepper and melted butter - place into 9x9 baking dish. Bake for 20 minutes. Meanwhile, whisk together the egg, milk and cheese. Pour over mixture. Bake for another 20 minutes.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment