August 6, 2010

Braised Balsamic Chicken


Ok, I realize this is not a pretty picture. Believe me, I do. And I also realize it's not the prettiest color. However, I doubt anyone could make an appealing color out of balsamic vinegar and tomatoes. Brown and red? Yeah, not the greatest combination.

But who cares? When a dish tastes as good as this, it really doesn't matter. Not only am I obsessed with balsamic vinegar, I am also obsessed with the taste of it when mixed with tomatoes. Seriously, the flavors were meant to be with each other.

The flavors are so rich and deep - people will think you slaved away in the kitchen. But I assure you, this is anything but complicated. You should know me well enough by now that I don't make tedious recipes!

I hope you'll look past this picture and give this recipe a try. It's definitely a keeper in the Ice Cream & Wine household!

Oh, and the following recipe serves 6; I cut it in half and used three chicken breasts.

Braised Balsamic Chicken
Source: All Recipes 

Ingredients:
6 boneless, skinless chicken breast; cubed (1 inch pieces)
ground black pepper to taste
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 white onion, thinly sliced
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
1 - 14 oz. can diced tomatoes
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried rosemary
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme


Directions:
Season cubed chicken with pepper, garlic powder and salt. Heat olive oil in a medium skillet over medium heat; brown the onion and cubed chicken.

Pour balsamic vinegar and tomatoes over the chicken & onion mixture. Season with the remaining ingredients. Simmer until the chicken is no longer pink, and the juices run clear - about 15 minutes.


Serve over brown rice or angel hair pasta.
 

2 comments:

  1. Ooh that does sound good! I know what you mean about the brown and red - sometimes there's just no way to get photos to look good! (Well, not without a fancy camera I suppose!) Hope you're having a great day! :)

    ReplyDelete