November 16, 2010

Pumpkin Blondies (Vegan!)


While I have begun listening to Christmas music, I'm a firm believer that autumn treats should still be consumed in full force until Thanksgiving. There's just something about fall flavors that excite me - pecans, pumpkin, apples, cinnamon - such wonderful aromas and treats for the taste buds!

 
When I stumbled across these (vegan!) Pumpkin Blondies over on Hillary's blog, I knew I had to make them - pronto. Don't let the fact that they are vegan fool you; I think a lot of people may be hesitant to vegan options but don't be! These are absolutely decadent and delicious. I love experimenting with vegan baking, and this concoction did not disappoint! 

 
Pumpkin Blondies
Source: Nutrition Nut on the Run

Ingredients:
3/4 c. canned pumpkin
1/2 c. applesauce
1/2 c. sugar
1/2 c. brown sugar
1/4 c. almond milk (or soy milk)
2 tsp. pure vanilla
1 1/4 c. whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp. baking powder
pinch of salt
dash of nutmeg, ~1/4 tsp.
double dash of cinnamon, ~1 tsp.
1/3 c. pecans, chopped
2/3 c. dark chocolate chips 

Directions:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

In a medium bowl, mix together the wet ingredients [pumpkin, applesauce, sugars, soy milk, vanilla]. In a separate, larger bowl, mix together flours, baking powder, salt and spices. Pour wet ingredients into the dry, combine – mixing minimally. Fold in nuts and chips. Then plop into a greased 8×8 pan and bake for 18-20 minutes [timing will vary by the type of pan]. Let cool completely before cutting into squares.

5 comments:

  1. Well yum! I've never had a blondie actually. But I am fairly certain I'd be a happy camper with these.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm....Sometimes I prefer vegan desserts over non-vegan. They tend to come out really moist while not leaving me feeling heavy and uncomfortable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never had blondies. Ever. It looks delish. So making this THIS WEEK!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love blondies and I love pumpkins so I'm betting this is amazeballs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amen sister! I could eat the fall desserts any season!

    I love that these are vegan, they're beautiful! I am going to send the link to my sister -thanks!

    ReplyDelete