October 8, 2010

Nut Butter Carrot Fries

I used to always buy the bags of baby carrots. Until I realized one day that it is much cheaper to buy regular carrots. You know, the carrots that look like they were literally just pulled from the ground. You know, the kind that you would imagine rabbits eating. Yes, those.

So we've been buying those carrots recently, and I find peeling them rather fun. I know, I have an odd obsession/liking toward kitchen gadgets. 

The problem: we're up to our eyeballs in carrots. We can only eat so many atop salads and dipped in hummus.


So when I heard that you could slice carrots, lather them in nut butter and bake in the oven to turn into fries, I was rather intrigued. 

My curiosity always gets the best of me when it comes to food, so I had to try these out. And now, I'm rather addicted!

Nut Butter Carrot Fries
Source: Oh She Glows and Meals & Miles


Ingredients:
3 medium carrots - sliced into thin strips
2 tablespoons nut butter (I just used all-natural peanut butter)
1 tablespoon oil
1/2 teaspoon salt


Directions:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees and line a baking sheet with foil.

In a medium bowl, whisk together the nut butter, oil and salt. Add sliced carrots and toss to coat. 


Place in a single layer on the baking sheet. Bake for 30 minutes - you can flip them halfway through to prevent burning.

10 comments:

  1. Yum, yum! Nut butter and homemade fries at the same time? That sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, this is an odd combination that I wouldn't have thought of, but it sounds yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is seriously blowing my mind right now :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow...what a great idea! I've been buying the small carrots with greens still intact at the farmer's market and love them just roasted with olive oil. I'll have to give this a try.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an interesting idea! I love this! They look SOOOOO good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am totally hooked on these. They're great with sweet potatoes and parsnips too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I made this tonight and all I can say is...WOW. Awesome idea!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a genius idea! Where did you first hear of it? I have some almond butter in my fridge and am so going to do this tonight! Do you think of this more as a side or a snack? (Or both?)

    ReplyDelete
  9. @BraveTart: ohsheglows.com is where I first found it - genius, I know!

    I definitely see it as both a snack and a side dish. I originally made these for a snack, but they'd complement any dinner (burgers, grilled chicken, etc.). Let me know if you try them!

    ReplyDelete