July 29, 2010

Cinnamon-Oat Scones


Breakfast just might be my favorite meal of the day. And although my normal breakfast usually includes oatmeal or a high fiber cereal with fruit, I can't help but splurge on the weekends.

My husband usually enjoys whipping up pancakes, french toast or eggs during his beloved days off - gotta love him! But last weekend, I decided to head into the kitchen myself and make one of my favorite breakfast goods: scones.

Scones have won over my heart as of late. The dense, buttery baked treat is so indulgent - I just knew I had to feature a recipe on Ice Cream & Wine!

My mom gave me the cutest little recipe booklet from Pillsbury. One section included the category: Baking Up to Breakfast (so fun). This is where I found the Cinnamon-Oat Scone recipe. 

I hope you enjoy these scones as much as I did!

Cinnamon-Oat Scones
Source: Pillsbury, Breakfast & Brunch Booklet 

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 oats
1/4 packed brown sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup milk

Topping:
1 tablespoon butter, melted
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Directions:
1. Heat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly coat cookie sheet with cooking spray. In medium bowl, mix flour, oats, brown sugar, baking powder, salt and 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon. With pastry blender or fork, cut in 1/2 cup butter until mixture is crumbly. Add milk all at once; stir just until dry ingredients are moistened.

2. One floured work surface, gently knead dough 5 or 6 times. Place on cookie sheet; press into 6-inch round, about 1 inch thick. Brush top with melted butter.

3. In small bowl, mix granulated sugar and 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon. Sprinkle over top. Cut into 8 wedges; separate slightly (about an inch).

4. Bake for 25-28 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm.

3 comments:

  1. Oooh these look tasty! I wish I'd read this post before I made breakfast this morning. Although.... I guess I could have breakfast part II...... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think part 2 sounds like a wonderful idea!

    ReplyDelete