April 19, 2010

Scalloped Pototoes & Onions



Mmm...potatoes. Seriously I could eat a baked potato (or sweet potato) with every. single. meal. So classic but so delicious. We all know I'm a big fan of food that is extremely versatile - think pasta, chicken and add potatoes to that list! Fried, mashed, scalloped, baked - even made into a potato salad. The possibilities are truly endless!

I hosted (!) Easter dinner this year. Let it be known that this holiday was quite exciting in many ways. Number one, this was my first Easter as a WIFE - yay! Number two, this was the first holiday that I hosted. Number three, this was our first holiday in Baltimore (we found wonderful reasons to leave for Thanksgiving & Christmas!). And number four, my parents flew all the way from Nebraska to Baltimore to spend it with me and my husband. So fun!

I spent months OK weeks figuring out the menu. It had to be perfect and all traditional Easter dinner components had to be represented. I was at odds trying to decide the cooking method for my potato dish. I stumbled upon a great recipe on All Recipes (love that website) and was instantly sold. I present to you Scalloped Potatoes & Onions - enjoy this at your next holiday dinner (or comforting weeknight meal!).

Source: All Recipes - Scalloped Potatoes & Onions

Ingredients:
5 large potatoes, peeled & thinly sliced
3/4 cup chopped onion - I used white
3 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 3/4 cup chicken broth
2 tablespoons mayo
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
Paprika

Directions:
Set oven to 325 degrees. In a greased 2 1/2 quart baking dish, layer the potatoes and onion. In a saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Stir in the flour until smooth. Gradually add broth, mayo, salt & pepper. Cook while stirring for about 2 minutes, or until thick and bubbly. 

Pour over potatoes. Sprinkle with paprika. Cover and bake for 2 hours, or until tender.

No comments:

Post a Comment