February 10, 2010

Mmm...Mexican Lasagna.


So I feel like I've been on this Mexican food kick these past few days. I made Taco Dip on Friday, cheesy quesadillas for the Super Bowl (I didn't blog it - it was rather simple & I just used ingredients that I had on-hand) and last night I made Mexican Lasagna. My husband had to walk home from campus last night, as the shuttle system was shut down because of this crazy blizzard we're experiencing. He couldn't find a taxi either, so he trekked it across Baltimore. I just admire him and his positivity. I would have sat down in the middle of the street, waiting for someone to get me. :)

Anyway...once he got home, he said he was craving some solid, hearty comfort food. Yay! It was a win for the wife - I had the Mexican Lasagna in the oven, and boy was he excited! This was extremely easy - I know I say that a lot - I should just stop because all the food I make is super easy - but really, this was! You can tailor it to your tastes...if you don't like green chiles, then just use diced tomatoes. If you don't like black olives, then don't add them. Get creative!


Ingredients:
1 lb. of ground turkey (or beef)
1 packet taco seasoning
1 cup of salsa
2 tortillas - I used whole wheat
1/2 can refried beans
1 can diced tomatoes with green chiles
2 cups frozen corn, thawed
1 small can of sliced black olives
Shredded cheddar cheese - I actually used "Mexican Style"

Directions:
In a large skillet over medium heat, cook the ground turkey (or beef) - add taco seasoning. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a 2.5 quart baking dish, pour half the salsa on the bottom. Place 1 tortilla in the baking dish - mine didn't fit perfect, but close enough. You'll be having two layers, so you'll split the ingredients in half.

Spread half of the refried beans over the entire tortilla then add cheese, ground turkey, tomatoes, corn, black olives, then spread some salsa over the top. Add another tortilla and repeat. You can finish it with more cheese and black olives.

Bake covered (with lid or foil) for 25 minutes. Uncover and bake for another 5 minutes.

Let stand for 5 minutes before serving. I served it with sour cream on top.

No comments:

Post a Comment