February 17, 2010

Chicken Enchilada Soup


This is by far my favorite soup. There are many reasons why I like it: it's made in the crock pot, it's spicy, and the cheese on top is perfection. It's very easy to prepare this soup. To save time in the morning, you could chop the onion and peppers at night and put them in the fridge. In the morning, you'll just drop everything in!

I just did it all in the morning, and it worked out just fine. I made this soup in the fall for my work's "Soup Cook-Off." I won! Clearly, it's a great soup!

Source: Real Mom Kitchen  

Ingredients:
1 - 15 oz. can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 - 14.5 oz. can diced tomatoes - I used the one with green chiles
1 - 10 oz. package frozen whole kernel corn
1/2 cup chopped onion - I used white
1/2 cup chopped bell pepper - I used red, although green would add some color
2 chicken breasts - frozen works well
1 - 10 oz. can enchilada sauce - I used hot
1 - 10.75 oz. can condensed cream of chicken soup
1 1/2 cups milk - I used skim
*Optional toppings

Directions:
In a large crock pot, combine beans, tomatoes, corn, onion and pepper. Place two chicken breasts on top. In a large bowl, whisk together the enchilada sauce and soup. Stir in the milk until smooth. Pour over chicken breasts and vegetables. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours - or on high for 3-4.

About an hour before it's ready - use two forks and shred the chicken breasts. I just do this while they're inside the crock pot. It's easy - and I don't have to worry about making a mess when I remove them.

Serve in bowls and *top with a variety of selections: shredded cheese, sour cream, avocados, you name it!

1 comment: